My observation:

> Item  1:  Accurate restoration of renamed/deleted files
> Item  3:  Merge multiple backups (Synthetic Backup or Consolidation)

To my mind, these pretty much all use the same code inasmuch as one is
wanting to generate a new full backup to tape (or restore to disk) based
on what's in the database and in the volumes for any given backup date,
while weeding files which had been deleted before that date, but since the
previous backups (full/differential/incremental)

In other words, solving either of #1 or #3 should pretty much
automatically solve the other.