On Monday 20 August 2007 19:26, Alan Brown wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > However the synthetic backup is not dependent on having information about
> > deleted files.  The synthetic backup will simply take what is in the
> > catalog an run with it.
>
> I was working on the basis of an accurate full backup. Without knowing
> which files to NOT save, such a synthetic backup would be more of a
> liability than an assett,

I'm guessing that you have a different concept of what a synthetic backup is.

I am considering it very much like a "fancy" Bacula migration job, with two
differences:

1. it doesn't delete (i.e. it is more like a copy).  It simply creates a
consolidated copy into a new single job rather than multiple jobs (and
possibly multiple media types and volumes).

2. instead of using the current migration selection criteria, for a Full, it
selects what a current restore would (a bit different for a Diff).  Thus it
has nothing to do with a normal backup or the FD.