On Monday 20 August 2007 18:27:05 Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Monday 20 August 2007 17:00, Alan Brown wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> >
> > > Item 1 is a very complex problem that has serious performance
> > > implications depending on how it is implemented particularly for the
> > > FD, and is a major addition to the current code. Probably the best
> > > solution that scales is to push the work out to the client (FD).
> > > However, doing so risks to overrun the capacities of the FD.
Seems to me quite risky for older overloaded clients
> > > The
> > > project involves sending a full and accurate state of the Client as
> > > known in the Bacula catalog to the client, which would then reference
> > > this information (potentially very large) when backing up files.
How can this work with millions of files?
why not send the directory and file structure information from the fd at the
same time as it sends the data  - then marking deleted files in the catalog
along the way?
Just seems to me that the backup servers are the ones that usually have more
horsepower to perform that comparison operation, or the ones that easier can
be scaled up with memory if neccessary.

Regards

Steen