> >> Bacula is incredibly complex to setup. Its taken 4 months and
> >> its still not working correctly.
>
> DL> You are unique.
>
> I doubt he's unique.  I constantly think to myself "wow, bacula is
> really cool; but why isn't it doing that?"
>
> The configuration is complex to set up (but with flexibility always
> comes complexity; and bacula is very flexible).  Fortunately there
> are many good resources to look at, but sorting through them all to
> find what you want is sometimes difficult.
>
> Personally, I've been using it for 2 months.  On day one I got it
> up and running and backing up multiple computers (windows and
> linux both).

I've been using Bacula for approx 1 month now to backup a range of
servers (Linux + Windows 2003) and an office full of Windows XP/Vista
machines.  Before moving to Bacula I was a fairly happy Amanda user, the
only gripe I had with Amanda for a very long time was "proper" Windows
client support (I now believe there is a native Windows client).

Just over a month ago I decided to evaluate Bacula.  After a few days of
hacking configuration scripts & virtually re-writing the "fake
autoloader" mtx-changer script[1] I had a fully operational backup
system.  For a couple of weeks I ran Bacula & Amanda side-by-side and
last week made the decision to completely shut off Amanda.

When first starting out, Bacula appears to be extremely complex.
Spending a bit of time reading the docs, wiki & example configs before
diving in can work wonders!

Sean

[1] A copy of my very hacky script can be found on the Bacula wiki at
http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=sample_configs#faking_an_auto-changer
_with_one_tape_drive