Hi Dave,

On 2015-12-16 12:39, Lewis, Dave wrote:
> [...]

This is nothing.

I have an LTO-6 running on a Solaris 10 x64 system with 8Gb of RAM, with
141734865 File entries.

This system drives the LTO-6 at near its maximum speed, but it does use
fibre-channel, so a lot of interface-related speed problems go away.
(Previously it ran an LTO-4 using UW-SCSI, it was fast enough but
occasionally just flaked out, FC is the bees knees!!)

Also, ignore the guff about needing SSD's to feed the tape, my system
runs on a ZFS pool of 3 * 1Tb disks to spool on, and the MySQL InnoDB
files also live on this pool, in ZFS file systems configured for the
best performance of MySQL.

Fix your network problems, first, as other ahve said.  It could be
anything, from dodgy NICs, or badly configured switches.  Or just *one*
10meg switch stuck somewhere that nobody knows about!  (This happened to
me a couple of years ago, the Preventors of Information Services in
Networking insisted that it was all 100Mb, eventually a real network
engineer and I did the "trace the physical cables" and found that
someone had put an ancient 10Meg switch in one of the cabinets.  Cue
complete denial and "It doesn't exist" from the eejits, we just swapped
a couple of cables and I got the speed I wanted, perhaps someone lost
some!)

I prefer Intel NICs for machines that have a need for network
performance, even my peecees at home have them in preference to the
on-board RealTeks or whatever.

Tune your database.  I used the script at http://mysqltuner.pl a few
years ago, it's been fine since.

Make sure that the temporary file space al

Did you build Bacula yourself, or are you using some sort of
pre-packaged version?

If you built it yourself, did you enable batch inserts on the database?
If it's pre-packaged, ask the package maintainer.

And check that it really does have batch mode available.

And that it is spooling attributes as well.  (You may have already
answered this.)

TL;DR - go over your network with a fine-tooth comb, and follow the
advice from the mysqltuner.pl script.

         Cheers,
                 Gary    B-)