Hello

I am used to this principle with Linux but I don't understand why it just takes
it when Bacula is working and it slows down the server so much that I can no
longer access it in ssh.

How is your storage allocated on the server? i.e. how are things partitioned with regard to your backup disks and your database? If your DB is located on the same physical disks as your OS and/or your actual backup data then you could see such "freeze ups" while Bacula is running due to I/O limitations.  I find it helps to separate the OS, DB data and any Bacula storage volumes so they are all on separate disk devices if possible - separate controllers even better.

--tom