Alternatives could be used to specify what database to use, but I don’t know
that it can override dependencies that are hard-coded into the package spec.
The only solutions I know of is for either bacula-mysql to not depend on the
mysql packages, or to have a separate bacula-mariadb with the dependencies on
the MariaDB packages.

I may take a stab at building my own packages this evening so I can move my
server over to a new box that is running Ubuntu 20.04 and MariaDB.

Dan Rich <dr...@employees.org>
http://www.employees.org/~drich/
"Step up to red alert!" "Are you sure, sir?
It means changing the bulb in the sign..."
        - Red Dwarf (BBC)