On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:07 PM Robert Adesam <robert.ade...@gu.se> wrote:

> Hej!
>
> j> "j" == jmaness  <jman...@engineering.ucsb.edu> writes:
>
> j> Thank you very much for this suggestion. We'll look into that. Our
> j> main concern is that our director is set to version 9.0.6 as that's
> j> what Enterprise Linux seems to have pegged the version to. Homebrew
> j> wants to compile version 11 so we're going to look to see if we can
> j> set the version for the formula.
>
> As Martin Simmons points out this is fixed in a later version
> (9.4.3?). See thread:
>
>   https://sourceforge.net/p/bacula/mailman/message/36600311/
>
> But if you really need version 9.0.x I think you also can try
> switching compiler -- I could reproduce the error from "fresh" bacula
> 9.0.8 sources using Xcode 12.4 on Mac OS X 10.15.7:

To address this and many of the great suggestions, which we're very
appreciative of, we're now trying to use Homebrew to build its formula for
Bacula using 9.0.x and we hope to then use the build-pkg package to create
a package we can use. We're having success with this and have gotten Bacula
client 11 successfully built in Homebrew. We're now working to see if we
can compile an older version to avoid having to immediately upgrade our
directory to maintain compatibility. I don't expect we will have more
information on this until sometime next week. These suggestions we've
received from everyone have gotten us so much further along than we had on
our own. Thank you everyone who has so far given us advice on this!

>  $ /usr/bin/gcc --version
>  Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
>  Apple clang version 12.0.0 (clang-1200.0.32.29)
>  Target: x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0
>  Thread model: posix
>  InstalledDir:
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin
>
> Then I switch to gcc from MacPorts and it compiled fine using the same
> configure, cflags, etc etc:
>
>  $ /opt/local/bin/gcc --version
>  gcc (MacPorts gcc10 10.2.0_5) 10.2.0
>  Copyright (C) 2020 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>  This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO
>  warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
> PURPOSE.
>
> Maybe the Xcode compiler is a little too picky...?
>

>From what we've seen so far this definitely seems to be the situation!
Thank you again. I hope I can follow up soon to say we've had success!