I have an annoying issue that I don't yet understand

I read the howtos around volumes and media type etc but so far couldn't get it working:

There are 2 storages "File" and "HP-Autoloader" ... so disk- and tape-based backups.

There are pools like "daily" "weekly" "monthly" that contain physical tapes.

"daily" and "weekly" have labels like "CMR123L6" (side question: I'd like to configure that as well into the pools. What would be the LabelFormat here?)

"monthly" has "ARC123L6"

and the file-based volumes get LabelFormat = "Vol-"

The physical tapes use

MediaType = "LTO-6"

the disk-based virtual tapes use

MediaType = "File"

Now where´s the problem?

It seems that the Job "BackupCatalog" (sometimes?) creates a new volume like "Vol-252", but with MediaType "LTO-6", which is then NOT FOUND in the tape autoloader. Sure, this one doesn't exist. "Vol-" volumes are for storage "File" only.

So the whole queue of Jobs gets stuck because of this.

I read that Director and Storage Daemon somehow have to agree on Media Types etc . I have:

## sd

Device {
  Name = "FileStorage"
  MediaType = "File"
  ArchiveDevice = "/mnt/backup/bacula"
  RemovableMedia = no
  RandomAccess = yes
  AutomaticMount = yes
  LabelMedia = yes
  AlwaysOpen = no
  SpoolDirectory = "/mnt/amhold/bacula"
  MaximumSpoolSize = 80000000000
}
Device {
  Name = "HP-Ultrium"
  MediaType = "LTO-6"
  ArchiveDevice = "/dev/nst0"
  RemovableMedia = yes
  RandomAccess = no
  LabelMedia = yes
  AlwaysOpen = yes
  Autochanger = yes
  MaximumBlockSize = 262144
  MaximumFileSize = 8589934592
  SpoolDirectory = "/mnt/amhold/bacula"
  MaximumSpoolSize = 1000000000000
}

## director

Storage {
  Name = "File"
  SdPort = 9103
  Address = "samba"
  Password = "xxx"
  Device = "FileStorage"
  MediaType = "File"
}
Storage {
  Name = "HP-Autoloader"
  SdPort = 9103
  Address = "samba"
  Password = "xxx"
  Device = "HP-Autoloader"
  MediaType = "LTO-6"
  Autochanger = "HP-Autoloader"
  MaximumConcurrentJobs = 1
}

# pools

Pool {
  Name = "Daily"
  Description = "daily backups"
  PoolType = "Backup"
  MaximumVolumes = 30
  VolumeRetention = 864000
  Storage = "HP-Autoloader"
}
Pool {
  Name = "Default"
  PoolType = "Backup"
  MaximumVolumes = 100
  MaximumVolumeBytes = 53687091200
  VolumeRetention = 31536000
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle = yes
}
Pool {
  Name = "File"
  PoolType = "Backup"
  LabelFormat = "Vol-"
  MaximumVolumes = 101
  MaximumVolumeBytes = 53687091200
  VolumeRetention = 432000
  NextPool = "Daily"
  Storage = "File"
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle = yes
}
Pool {
  Name = "Monthly"
  Description = "monthly backups"
  PoolType = "Backup"
  UseVolumeOnce = no
  Storage = "HP-Autoloader"
}
Pool {
  Name = "Scratch"
  PoolType = "Backup"
}
Pool {
  Name = "Weekly"
  Description = "weekly backups"
  PoolType = "Backup"
  UseVolumeOnce = no
  VolumeRetention = 2592000
  Storage = "HP-Autoloader"
}

# Job

Job {
  Name = "BackupCatalog"
  Level = "Full"
  Storage = "HP-Autoloader"
  Fileset = "Catalog"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  JobDefs = "DefaultJob"
  WriteBootstrap = "/opt/bacula/working/%n.bsr"
  Runscript {
    RunsOnClient = no
    RunsWhen = "Before"
    Command = "/opt/bacula/scripts/make_catalog_backup.pl MyCatalog"
  }
  Runscript {
    RunsOnClient = no
    RunsWhen = "After"
    Command = "/opt/bacula/scripts/delete_catalog_backup"
  }
  Priority = 11
  Pool = "Daily"
}

Anything missing? I get a bit lost here and don't want to "overconfigure" things where there might be clever defaults or automatisms.

addon: for weekly and monthly the catalog should run to the according tapes, not to a "daily" tape, right?

Somewhere I read the catalog should (additionally?) be written to File, that would complicate it even more.

Thanks in advance for any help here. It seems that is the missing bit for this config to be running autonomously for a week or so (which isn't the case yet unfortunately ...)

Stefan