In a message dated 5/12/2004 6:41:26 AM Central Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
Another question springs to mind on this topic: why did the miracle have to
happen in the first place?  If miracles are no proof of Prophethood, what
was the point of it all?  Couldn't God have just made sure that the Bab got
all out He wanted to say the first time and not had the Bab miraculously
disappear?  Evidently God wanted it to happen the way it did, but if
miracles don't count as proof I'm not sure why He wanted it to happen that
way.
Abdu'l Baha says miracles "count" as proof to those who see them. That is their limitation. Those who have other reasons to believe without seeing will take the miracle as further proof for their belief but it won't count to those who do not already believe. Remember, if you will, that Thomas was not chastised for asking to see the marks in Jesus' hands and side, but Jesus did say that those who accepted without seeing were particularly blessed; I think that applies here as well.

Regards,

Scott