[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  I
 don't see these types of people entering the Faith.  Or if they do, we
 don't hear about it.>>

Most of the individuals who came into the Faith and became renowned for their
service to the Faith were people like anyone else, they grew into the level
of service that we remember so fondly. We have lots of folks of "capacity" who
grew into their level of service and general celebrity in their professions
and in their spiritual committment. I see no lack of this kind of individual
today, they just have not received their general celebrity as yet. For many that
will come posthumously, just like it has in the past.

There are plenty of educators, lawyers, college professors, wealthy
individuals, popular celebrities men and women of science in the faith in recent years
as well. I can think of individuals whom I know and have know personally, and
those I have met only peripherally or not at all. Dorothy Nelson is a renowned
jurist, as is her husband, I knew personally in a neighboring community the
attorneys (a married couple like the Nelsons) who introduced them to the faith
in the first place. I know Jack McCants fairly well as he comes from nearby in
Oklahoma and lived here before he was elected originally to the National
Spiritual Assembly - he was a psychologist, of course, but started as a Methodist
minister before he met the Faith. We have scientists of great renown in our
recent past like Guy Murchie, we have popular icons like Red Grammar, Dennis
Farina, Danny Seals, Jimmy Seals, Dizzy Gillespie, Dash Crofts, people whose
public came to know that they were members of a "wierd religion" because they
worked very hard for the Faith.

We shall have no dearth of those individuals in the future either. And not
just in this particular western nation either.

 <<A second point, would a person like Martha Root and her services be
 acceptable these days?  Would an individual be allowed to go hither and
 yon seeing and teaching the influential and would we be allowed to be
 kept abreast of their activities? >>

Well, Ms Root became a Hand of the Cause because Shoghi Effendi made more
appointments to that station than His predecessors did. Why did he do that? We
have no more Hands today, of course, but the institution of the Counsellors
fills that gap

 <<Perhaps it is because the Order of
 Baha'u'llah is purging the cult of the individual and that is a good
 thing in the long run.  Or perhaps it is because we aren't attracting
 this type of capacity into the Faith.  Still deciding. >>

Well, I have no doubt that we attract the same kind of capacity. It just
takes longer for their halo to brighten. The aura of love and admiration that
became attached to the Hands did not descend upon them instantly, we see them
through rose-colored glasses to a certain extent. In that regard we need to view
the efforts of those serving today to see the future "glamour" that is not yet
obvious. (I use glamour in its most ancient of meanings a magical sheen of
attractiveness and desirability that is almost artificial in nature).

Regards,

Scott