On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:44:14 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In a message dated 12/11/2004 2:41:25 AM Central Standard Time,

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> But that's only one dimension of the story. Jesus was a poor, homeless
> Palestinian worker. Bahaullah grew up relatively wealthy and was
> waited on by slaves and servants. Jesus comes off as more forcefully
> aligned with the oppressed and seems more critical of the elites and
> the establishment.

> Perhaps, but Baha`u'llah was stripped of all His possessions and wealth at
> the time of His first revelattory experience in the Siyah Chal. Why should
> that divestiture of wealth and property make Him less critical of the elites
> and the establishment?

I should probably read more about the life of the Bab and Bahaullah
before saying much about it. (So I'm factually wrong please point me
to where I can get accurate information)  But my impression is that he
still had servants and a place to live for a good chunk of his life.
He came from a noble, elite background, private tutors. He seems to
have had connections with wealthy and elite leaders in other countries
which is why he was allowed to live in exile instead of being
executed. And I'm not sure if this is from Bahaullah directly, or from
Abdul-Baha or Shoghi Effendi, but Bahai's insistence on being
non-partisan in political matters seems odd to me. I'm not sure how to
put it but it smells like complacency to me. And the relation between
the Bahais and Israel is odd as well. Even pacifists like Gandhi or
MLK Jr, were vocal about their opinions and made an impression, and
they were okay with being contraversial.

Jesus on the other was from a humbler background. Even as a child, he
was a refugee, lived in Africa, didn't come from a humble background,
didn't have servants, associated with the outcasts of society. He was
homeless, poor. He knew Nicodemus and Joseph of Arimathea but
otherwise didn't seem to have many connections or familiarity with
powerful people. He was a big mouth, often spoke out against the
authorities, overturned the tables of the money-changes and used whips
to get them out of the Temple. And similar things could be said of
John the Baptist.