And I would say is that people like Khalid Abul Fadl isn't an
exception to what I"m talking about he's an example. There are
certainly Muslims who are looking at the sources of the religion
differently and starting to "reform". Amina Wadud would be another.
There are also fairly traditional scholars from Western backgrounds
who are just sensitive to certain issues and are gradually using
traditional methodologies in modern situations and are better at
communicating and articulating Islamic principles to modern Western
audiences. None of these people are saying the Quran is outdated.

Gilberto,
Here we agree. I'm not saying it is outdated either. I would agree with your thoughts on changes being horizontal rather than vertcal and I'll answer your other posting in a day or so when I have time to do it justice.

But there are Bahais who, for example, would say that the Quran isn't suitable for the modern age because it promotes unfair treatment of women. That's what I would call "calling God a sexist pig". I would rather read the Quran in different ways and say that it continues to be valid.

If Baha'is take up this argument, I would say it is an oversimplification, and
like other oversimplifications, is wrong. God forbid that such things be said.
The Qur'an will never be invalid, we believe that some social teachings have
been superceded, but some of them were superceded in the Prophet's (PBUH) own
lifetime, such as the direction of the Qiblah. I would like to continue this
conversation at greater length in a day or so. It is nice talking with you.

Ma Sallama,

Rich

__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com To unsubscribe, send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] To subscribe, use subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Web - http://list.jccc.edu/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu