Gilberto Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10/27/05, Scott Saylors <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> Dear Gilberto,
> No verse of the Qur'an says it, but a nine year old girl is an adult by the
> standards of the hadith,

Scott, I think you need to slow down. I think you are misunderstanding
the issue and misspeaking.

> In 1980 an Iranian court hung a seventeen year old girl, she was arrested
> when she was sixteen. Is that sufficiently old? Her crime was teaching the
> Baha`i faith to Baha`i children.

So are you assuming that everything the Iranian government does in the
name of Islam, is actually Islamic? Is everything that Western
governments do in the name of democracy, actually democratic?

Gilberto

Dear Gilberto,

The United States isn't a democracy, it is a representative republic. But that is a red-herring. It was a court acting on what they considered to be Islamic law. They hung a young woman at seventeen years of age. They arrested her at 16. Then they wrapped themselves in the shariah and said it was a legal act.

I do not hold Muhammed responsible for the act. I do not even think that reasonable Islamic jurists would accept the reasoning of the court, but part of the logic behind the sentence and execution was that she was a mature adult under Islamic law, and Islamic tradition about Aisha was part of the precedent involved.

If the court had stuck to the Qur'an they would have been forced to judge that there should be no compulsion in religion and they would have followed Muhammed's law.

At least part of the problem is that those governments who try to act under the shariah are trying to make rational jurisprudence on law that is no longer appropriate to the this day and age and this world community.

The shar'iah is outdated and no longer valid; but Muhammed is still n APostle of God, the Seal of the Prophets and the Qur'an is still the word of God. Its social laws are no longer the proper guidance for today's society.

And this is a good example of how moral and social values evolve.

Regards,

Scott

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail") is sent by the Johnson County Community College ("JCCC") and is intended to be confidential and for the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately notify JCCC by email reply and immediately and permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

As human beings, we are endowed with freedom of choice, and we cannot shuffle off our responsibility upon the shoulders of God or nature. We must shoulder it ourselves. It is our responsibility.
Arnold J. Toynbee
__________________________________________________ You are subscribed to Baha'i Studies as: mailto:archive@mail-archive.com Unsubscribe: send a blank email to mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: send subscribe bahai-st in the message body to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subscribe: http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/all_forums/subscribe?name=bahai-st Baha'i Studies is available through the following: Mail - mailto:bahai-st@list.jccc.edu Web - http://list.jccc.edu:8080/read/?forum=bahai-st News - news://list.jccc.edu/bahai-st Public - http://www.escribe.com/religion/bahaist Old Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.net New Public - http://www.mail-archive.com/bahai-st@list.jccc.edu