The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:43 AM,  <iskandar....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
>

> Much thanks, dear Gilberto for your comments.
>
> Baha'is believe that Muhammad is the last Prophet in the same sense that
> Jesus, Moses, and Baha'u'llah are the last Prophet. And the first Prophet.
> It's all explained in Baha'u'llah's "Book of Certitude" and in Khazeh's paper.

I've read Khazeh's paper and parts of the Book of Certitude. I know
what you are saying. I don't want to argue about it. All I'm saying is
that this is definitely not the ordinary meaning of the word "last".
And it isn't what Muslims mean by "last". And when I'm feeling
uncharitable I would just say it is dishonest. But otherwise I think
it is a sincerely believed paradox.

> Baha'is believe that Jesus was the Son of God in the same sense that Moses,
> Muhammad, you, and me are Sons of God. The uniqueness of Christ was not that
> He was fatherless and conceived of the Holy Spirit. The uniqueness of Jesus
> is because He was the Word, the Logos, the Primal Will; it's because He was a
> lamp from which the unique light of "haqiqat muhammadiyyah" was shining. In
> other words, Baha'is believe that He was as unique as Moses, Muhammad,
> Baha'u'llah, Adam, Noah, Buddha, Zoroaster, and the Bab.

I personally think that the concept of Haqiqat Muhammadiyyah / Logos
is a powerful tool for reconciling *some* claims about the status of
Jesus (as) and Muhammad (as). (e.g. Arian Christians and Muslims). But
at the end of the day, Bahais read the Quran in ways which are
radically different enough for me to say they don't believe it. (Most
obviously when it comes to rejecting its commandments).

> Regarding the 19-day feast: it is open to non-Baha'is. During the
> consultation period of the 19-day feast, if a vote is going to be taken, then
> the votes of Baha'is are counted, naturally.

http://bahai-library.com/compilations/feast.html

The above link is a compilation of different directives about the
Feast from Shoghi Effendi and the UHJ and all of section 6 is about
restrictions on Feast attendance. It is pretty clear that non-Bahais
aren't supposed to be invited and their presence at Feasts is to be
avoided. If they are there anyway, the administrative portion of the
meeting is to be postponed.

Now, I actually don't see anything wrong with that. I totally
understand that a community might want to have opportunities to
discuss issues among themselves without prying eyes. But don't pee on
my leg and tell me its raining.
It is obviously a form of exclusion.