The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Dear Gilberto;

Thanks for your message.

A couple of points, since we are discussing differences:
Cleanliness and "litAAfat" (both physical purity and cleanliness and
spiritual, mental cleanliness, purity of thought, purity of mind) is
certainly very much encouraged in the Baha'i Faith. What is absent is the
concept of "najas" as in Surah of Towbeh (9th Surah) of the Quran. As I am a
practicing Baha'i believer and you are a practicing Muslim, you obviously
think that the Islamic law and teaching is better than the Baha'i teachings
and law. Or, do you believe that the Baha'i law is better?

I was not talking about mujaddids or mujtahids or imams, or saints, etc. I
am talking about a Person Who comes with a Revelation (new Revelation)
direct from God because the mujaddid or mujtahid does not have any authority
to change/abrogate any law. Only God Himself who first gave the law can do
that; and He alone can change and abrogate it. This is the Baha'i position,
as I understand it.

The Baha'i understanding of "the Seal of the Prophets" is different from the
*current* muslim understanding of the concept. Recent research has shown
that early Muslims had a very different understanding of the issue. Baha'is
view and interpret the Seal of the Prophets with different explanations and
from different angles and viewpoints. Why is that confusing? There is a
diversity of readings and interpretations.

Regarding your question about "a lying impostor", etc. I would say that if
someone claims to have a Revelation direct from God, then I should do an
unfettered and independent investigation of the issue and try to determine
with my own judgement if s/he is true or a lying impostor. In the process,
by the way, Baha'is do not expect that claimant to perform magical acts such
as levitating instantaneously from Mecca to Jerusalem, etc. These are
theatrics and they are way beneath the station and claim of a person who
claims to be the Divine Educator and Physician for the ills of humanity. At
the end of the day, I should hear her/him speak to my heart with the voice
and authority of God (just as I hear the voice of God when I read the Quran
or the Kitab-i-Aqdas) before I believe in Her/Him.

Best regards,
Iskandar