The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Susan Maneck <sman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Baha'i Studies Listserv
>  The Quran
>> didn't plop down all at once from the sky. It grew piece by piece as
>> revelations came down. But at times it also shrunk and some texts
>> which were recited as "Quran" at one point are no longer contained in
>> the text nor legally binding. It would get included in the concept of
>> abrogation.
>
> Dear Gilberto,
>
> My understanding is that ayats which were abrogated are still part of
> the current Qur'an.

Under the general topic of abrogation there are different kinds. The
most common type discussed is where one text in the Quran is said to
abrogate the legal ruling of  another text in the Quran. Another type
which is also mentioned is as described above where a text which used
to be in the Quran is "forgotten" and is no longer in the Quran. And
there are other varieties as well which get discussed.

There are also scholars who as much as possible avoid relying on the
concept of abrogation and find other ways to make sense of apparent
differences in rulings. Shah Walullah tended in this direction.
(though not completely)