The Baha'i Studies Listserv
Today Gilberto Simpson gilberto.simp...@gmail.com wrote:

***

I guess what I would suggest is that if the reality underneath the names is
really the same, then the names don't matter at all.

(Including the name Bahaullah). The only thing that matters is getting
access to that reality.  And so if we are really talking about the
unchanging Faith of God as being the important thing, then that should be
accessible from the best parts of the Jewish tradition, or the best parts of
the Christian tradition, or the best parts of Islamic tradition etc. And
that if you "cling" to Bahaullah it’s possible to not see the truths which
non-Bahá’ís may already have.

Gilberto Simpson gilberto.simp...@gmail.com***

Khazeh writes humbly:

I always respond to Gilberto with great love and interest.

Earlier I had mentioned the danger of idolization and clinging to names.

But I believe the above posting by my loved friend Gilberto Simpson prompts
me to share another reference and again, as usual, I beg and beseech all of
us including myself, to peruse these with reverence, attention, and thought.

Here from the Gleanings He (Baha’u’llah) says it is important to accept the
Manifestation of the ONE Single Reality in His NEW ATTIRE.

And this new attire (and new and old bottles has resonances with John’s
Gospel) as you will see…hopefully

Baha’u’llah reveals:

It is clear and evident to thee that all the Prophets are the Temples of the
Cause of God, Who have appeared clothed in divers attire.

          (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 51)

It behoveth thee to consecrate thyself to the Will of God. Whatsoever hath
been revealed in His Tablets is but a reflection of His Will. So complete
must be thy consecration, that every trace of worldly desire will be washed
from thine heart. This is the meaning of true unity.

Do thou beseech God to enable thee to remain steadfast in this path, and to
aid thee to guide the peoples of the world to Him Who is the manifest and
sovereign Ruler, Who hath revealed Himself in a distinct attire, Who giveth
utterance to a Divine and specific Message. This is the essence of faith and
certitude.

          (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 338)

How high the reward of him that hath not deprived himself of so great a
bounty, nor failed to recognize the beauty of his Best-Beloved in this, His
new attire.

          (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 167)

17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said,
Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify
thee: 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give
eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

          (King James Bible, John)

In every divine dispensation the one sent with the “new attire” summons us
to eternal life.

In the Sinaitic Dispensation the Burning Bush

In the Christian Dispensation Jesus Christ

In the Days of Muh.ammad His Holy Book and His Holy Self

In this day the “Desire of all nations” Baha’u’llah.

(actually this is the fulfilment of those verses of the Qur’an which swears
by the Fig tree, the Olive tree, Sinai, and this Holy Land…but this is a
later discussion)

***

Today the enmity and rivalry existing between the religions are over mere
words. It is an established fact that the followers of all the religions
believe in a reality, the benefits of which are universal; which reality is
a medium between God and man. The Jews call that reality Moses, the
Christians Christ, the Moslems  Mohammed, the Buddhists Buddha and the
Zoroastrians  Zoroaster. Now mark well that none of these religionists have
ever seen the founders; they have only heard his name. Could they overlook
these names they would at once realize that all believe in a perfect reality
which is an intermediary between the Almighty and the creatures.

Should you speak to a Jew about the medium or channel between God and man,
without referring to any particular name or person, he would say, "Yes, this
is right, but I say the name of this mediator is Moses." If you give the
exposition of the divine philosophy to the followers of each religion they
will agree with you in the abstract, but they will stick to the names of
their own prophets and arise in contention and strife over these names. The
Jew believes in Christ, though he knows it not, and is quibbling over the
mere name.

There have been wars and rumors of war amongst the people of the world for
many thousand years; much innocent blood has been shed, many kingdoms and
empires have been laid waste. Is it not enough?

Religion should be the means of good fellowship and love. It must upraise
the standard of harmony and solidarity. If religion is conducive to hatred
and enmity, its existence is harmful to the welfare of the community.

          (Abdu'l-Baha, Divine Philosophy, p. 154)

'Abdu'l-Bahá replied: "Mankind needs a universal motive power to quicken it.
The inspired messenger who is directly assisted by the power of God brings
about universal results. Bahá'u'lláh rose as a light in Persia and now that
light is going out to the whole world."

"Is this what is meant by the Second Coming of Christ?"

He replied most profoundly: (reminding one again of the resonance with
h.aqeeqat al –muh.ammdaiyya (the Muh.ammadan Reality)

**

"Christ is an Expression of the Divine Reality, the Single Essence and
Heavenly Entity, which hath no beginning or ending. It has appearance,
arising, and manifestation and setting in each one of the Cycles."

          (Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 88)

With love respect and prayers khazeh