The Baha'i Studies Listserv
On 23 Dec 2010 at 1:21, Gilberto Simpson wrote:

> So I would want to see a
> clearer statement on how Shia define the limits of the ummah.

My answer was based on family law in Iran, because I wrote a booklet
on the topic. If you look at the theoreticians of the republic soon
after the revolution - when exporting the revolution was high on the
agenda - you will find very inclusive statements, which contradict
their theories of the justification for velayat-e faqih. If you look
at the other end of the spectrum, at Khatami, he is again inclusive
but sincerely so, and the same would apply to some other modernisers.
But what the theoreticians say doesn't count for much, it's social
attitudes that determine how much tension there is between the
communities.

Sen