The Baha'i Studies Listserv
The concept is not that difficult. Do they claim to be the return of the
manifestations before them? e.g. Christ Moses Baha'u'llah.
Do they claim to posses divine knowledge? Do they bring a new set of laws
and book?
They must fulfil these things. Now Jesus may not have brought a new book but
actually he did because he annulled certain commandments of Moses and
reinfoced others.
Funny story...
Yesterday some Mormans came to my door and tried to teach me and they said
yep they have this prophet who they follow whats his face, I cant remember
his name and they wanted to invite me to their information night ( a bit
like a Bahai does).
Anyway I said ah so this guy is a prophet does he have divine knowledge and
she said whats that and i said "He has to know everything". (eg Muhammad
said the earth revolved around the sun prooving his divine source of
knowledge despite people not agreeing with him).
And she said.
Yes he does have divine knowledge. When he speeks i can feel his words in my
heart and they touch me.
Pffff
This is obviously not divine knowledge! Anyone with Charisma can do this.
Anyway so they left and i said come back after new years.

One more thing though. A manifestation of God need not prove they are one by
showing you a sign. If you need a sign it only reflects badly on yourself.
The main thing is investigate.