Hi Bareos users,

as you may have noticed, we are busy to prepare the release of the next
major Bareos version 16.2.

If you already knew Bareos, one thing you will notice immediately after
installing is that the configuration scheme has changed
(https://github.com/bareos/bareos/tree/bareos-16.2 or current master
packages at http://download.bareos.org/bareos/experimental/nightly/)
Prior version had by default one configuration file per Bareos component
(e.g. bareos-dir uses /etc/bareos/bareos-dir.conf, bareos-sd uses
/etc/bareos/bareos-sd.conf, ...).
We noticed that most larger installation splitted there configuration
into several files.
Therefore we decided, to split the Bareos configuration into several
files by default.
This gains us the benefit, that it is easier for Bareos subpackages to
extend the configuration
and also allow us to provide a simple bconsole command to add resources
to the Bareos director configuration,
see
http://doc.bareos.org/master/html/bareos-manual-main-reference.html#sec:bcommandConfigure:

echo "configure add client name=client2−fd address=192.168.0.2
password=secret" | bconsole

The new subdirectory configuration schema uses one file per resource.
So the client client2-fd is stored (by default) in
/etc/bareos/bareos-dir.d/client/client2-fd.conf

As described in
http://doc.bareos.org/master/html/bareos-manual-main-reference.html#SubdirectoryConfigurationScheme,
as long as the old configuration file (e.g. /etc/bareos/bareos-dir.conf)
exists, it will be used.
The only known problem that can arise, if your existing configuration
uses an own wildcard mechanism to include configuration files from
/etc/bareos/bareos-dir.d/ (e.g. @|"sh -c ’echo
/etc/bareos/bareos-dir.d/*.conf'"). In this case, old and new
configuration files may collide. To prevent problems, it is recommended
to backup the /etc/bareos/ configuration directory before updating.

As changing the default configuration scheme has quite some impact when
updating systems, we hope to have implement an approach to combines the
best between offering benefits and minimized the impact on existing
installations.

If anybody of you have improvements to contribute, this may be the last
chance before the release of bareos-16.2 (which is planed for September,
at least a beta release).

regards,
Jörg

--
 Jörg Steffens                   joerg.steff...@bareos.com
 Bareos GmbH & Co. KG            Phone: +49 221 630693-91

 Sitz der Gesellschaft: Köln | Amtsgericht Köln: HRA 29646
 Komplementär: Bareos Verwaltungs-GmbH
 Geschäftsführer:
 S. Dühr, M. Außendorf, Jörg Steffens, P. Storz, M. v. Wieringen