It appears that the lute was a painter's requisite lying around and
the upper courses just got slack and slipped at the nut. There is no
sensible reason to arrange the strings intentionally. At the bridge
it can be seen that there is no course missing. Funny that somebody
caring to depict the different string types should be so careless as
not to rearrange the string band.