>From the deep and faded, dusty vaults of my memory, I seem to recall reading
that Kuhnau bought two Gallichon's for St Thomas's in Leipzig, which were
still there when Bach took the post. Is that right, or am I drifting
helplessly towards senility?

Interesting point about the similarity of tuning, Martin. I never thought of
that.

Rob

www.rmguitar.info

  _____

From: Martyn Hodgson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 25 November 2007 16:49
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'baroque Lutelist'
Subject: Re: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Dm continuo - Narvey article online

Note that the top three courses of the D tuned Gallichon/Mandora are the
same as this 'german' theorbo in Dm.  Coincidence? - maybe, since the large
A tuned Gallichon (string length c 95cm) seems to have been the usual
professional continuo instrument of this family with the smaller instruments
(say mid 60s - mid 70s) being amateur instruments. Advantage of the G/M is,
of course, a fully chromatic stopped (ie no over-ringing) bass from D (or A,
for the large instrument).  Kuhnau thought they were ideal, especially for
ensuring the bowed basses entered on the beat.................

MH

Rob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks Jurek. It seems that a few players use dm tuning for continuo. I once
saw Imamura accompanying singers on a 13c lute. It sounded great. But so far
I haven't seen anyone perform in dm without the chanterelle, as mentioned by
Baron. Apart from Tim Burris and now Benjamin Narvey, who else does?

Rob

www.rmguitar.info