Rob: I did go through a lot of the same questioning a year ago as I was having my first continuo instrument built for me. I did enjoy Benjamin's article and was tempted by the supposed ease at chord forms and harmony. 13 course Baroque lute is my primary solo instrument and there was a definite appeal. The primary argument against, made by more senior and experienced mentors, was that the interval of a third between the top two courses can make counterpoint and voice leading much more difficult. Thus, "If you wanted to add a small melodic interjection between two phrases, you have to contend, in each key, with the fact that there are three different interval structures between strings, (fourth, minor third and major third). There are basically only two on a normal archlute, fourths and a major third, and your neither your bass lines nor your treble improvisations normally cross over this divide. Most stay pretty much to one side or the other. Thus when you hear an idea in your head you can often finger it intuitively. On baroque lute each moving bass line is fingered differently in each key as it crosses the strings."

Other reason I settled against a d minor continuo instrument: much longer string length for a "roman" lute (80 cm or more) which is tough for my stubby hands.

DS