Hi Daniel,

Actually, on the German theorbo there is no high f', so the top interval is
still a 4th, like on other continuo instruments.  Also, because the 'normal'
baroque tuning that we have in our minds (a d f a d f) is symmetrical - that
is to say that the tuning of the top three strings reproduces itself exactly
on the lower 3 strings of the petit jeu once we allow for octave equivalence
- we only have to learn the fingerings for scales, melodic fragments, chord
shapes, etc. one time (and only on 3 strings!) and then just repeat this
knowledge lower down - and all of this is directly transferable to the
German theorbo.  This is in contrast to the other giraffe instrument tunings
(Archlute:  g c f a d g, It. Th:  a d g b e a), which are *not* symmetrical,
and thus, even though they may have one less internal interval then the
d-minor tuning, they require contending with a greater number of open
pitches (or as I call them, conceptual "starting bas(s)es" - sorry for the
pun), and this is actually what proves more difficult in the end: indeed,
each of these has 5 different open pitches as opposed to the d-minor
tuning's 3.  So even if, as you say, there is one more interval to deal with
in the d-minor tuning than in archlute or Italian theorbo tuning (the latter
is actually much more complicated than this due to the re-entrance), d-minor
is still much more straghtforward conceptually.  That said, the *most*
important point, and the main thrust of what Weiss, Baron, and myself are
saying (if I may put myself in such illustrious company with tongue firmly
placed in cheek), is that if you are a d-minor player anyway, you can just
re-use the tuning you already know for continuo, and not have to totally
relearn the fretboard - and this is obviously by far the simplest thing to
do!

Best,
BN

--