Dear Rob and Others,

On 2007-11-26, at 09:44, Rob wrote:
There would of course be no possibility of playing the Italian solo
repertoire on the German instrument, but I personally have no interest in
learning that repertoire, although I like listening to it.

The Italian solo theorbo repertoire (Kapsperger, Pacinini, Castaldi, even Pittoni) is rather different period then the ''German theorbo'' time -- no conflict in most programs played.

And while it is OK to use an Italian instrument for German
baroque music (it was definitely used, as Tim Burris has pointed out), it is
less plausible using a German instrument on anything other than German
music.

As far as the ''German theorbo'' is concerned, its popularity was probably restricted temporarily and georaphically to Saxony and to Weiss students and enthusiasts. But the d-m lute was played for almost 150 years -- from Ballard prints to Hagen or Kohaut at least in a large part of Europe.

Italy? Why Pierre Gautier was published in Rome 1638? How popular was teaching of a Frenchmen Julien Blovin leaving in Rome somehow in the second half of the XVIIthC., whose hand is present in several d-m lute manuscripts? Who was the scribe of the mysterious tablature with several Weiss pieces and an inscription ''Venetijs. 7. 7br. 1712'' (now F-Pn Rés. Vmc ms. 61)?

Try to compare it with the number of know Italian sources in tablature of archlute music.

Beside of these few facts which comes to my mind at the moment, the rest of Europe (I know little about Spain) played d-m lute as a solo instrument. It seems unimaginable people were not using it for songs or small chamber music.

Benjamin argues that Weiss's presence in Italy indicates that at
least one player was using dm tuning, however it is not certain that Weiss had developed his 'sans chanterelle' tuning whilst there. If not, what was
Weiss playing when sitting in with Scarlatti's orchestral band?

Nowbody will ever know. But I have in front of me the pages from Scarlatti's ''Tolomeo et Alessandro...'' of 1711 with a 'Liuto solo' fragment. A very simple 'Alberti Bass' like part in fast sixteenth notes, accompaning traverso(!) flute and a soprano, which can be played on virtually anything. It seems Scarlatti made a gesture to the famous young man from a northern country, but had no idea of the instrument possibilities and made no efforts to learn them.

I know of no other musical proofs of Weiss activities while in Rome (plus some of his solos), of course beside of literary and other evidence...

Had the
swan-necked so-called theorbo come into existence during Weiss's Italian trip, 1710-14? Seems a bit early to me. I'm sure someone reading this will know when swans flew in to the scene? So, if Weiss still just had his lute, was he playing continuo at all, and if he was, did he use an Italian-tuned instrument? And did the problems he encountered lead to his development of the German Continuo Theorbo when he got back to Germany? Or did he create it
when in Rome?

Provoking questions for which there are no answers, until some famous musicologist with a fondness towards lute will get financing for a serious research in Roman archives and focused on the musical establishement of the Polish court of Maria Casimira Sobieski.

So, there are a lot of questions, and, as I say, I have not yet convinced myself one way or another. But one thought keeps bugging me: Weiss was by far the greatest composer for the baroque lute, and we know that he spent a lot of his time as a continuo player. We also know the tuning he used. Baron states that it is the common tuning of theorboes in Germany. So how many of us are actually doing it? Probably fewer than half a dozen... Almost like
playing Dowland on guitars...
www.rmguitar.info

For playing full time continuo in a professional orchestra one can tune anyhow, even in diminished FIFTH, if that's effective for him/her. Such places/positions were then and are few now, very demanding and needing strong specialization. Doing such job, in my opinion, is a disaster to a 'normal' lute playing. But for me more important is the way most people were accompanning on the lute during XVII/XVIIIth centuries, during the time the d-m tuning was an obvious choice for solos -- I'm thinking of continuo songs and chamber music.

With reference to Benjamin Narvey's article, there is more documentation (sources) on playing continuo on a d-m lute, beside of Perrine and Weiss/Baron. Passing over few debatable assumptions, I like his elegant prose and specially the main arguments.

All in all, the question of continuo on the d-m lute is a subject of the future, I think. Just imagine if you'd start playing lute from the 11th or the 13th course instrument...

Jurek