No problem for Bob Barto apparently.
RT

On 6/24/2014 6:48 PM, Anton Birula wrote:
I am really surprised.... Having played londer than 23 years, I never had an
instrument wider than 147 which I play. Everyone who played my lutes would say
that it is a bit widish.... Also as far as  I know, Hoppy Smith, Nigel North,
Konrad Junghanel, Toyohiko Satoh, Jacob Lindberg and many others have lutes
narrower than 147. It is really remarkable to hear that people have such wide
spacing around. What about late Weiss Suites from Dresden manuscript Nr  23,24,
25, 30? How do these work on that spacings?

Best wishes, AB
On Tue, 6/24/14, Matthew Daillie <dail...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

  Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Swan Neck Baroque Lute for sale
  To: "Christopher Wilke" <chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Cc: "John Lenti" <johnle...@hotmail.com>, "r.turov...@gmail.com" <r.turov...@gmail.com>, "sterling
price" <spiffys84...@yahoo.com>, "baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 9:07 PM
The difficulty comes from having to
  drill a new hole very close to an old one. Even if the
  latter is well plugged, the drill bit often finds its way
  back into the original hole. It is also tricky to make sure
  the bit comes out the other side exactly where you want it
  to (after all, we are talking about fractions of
  millimetres). Anyway, ask any reputable maker, it's not a
  job they enjoy doing (and I have had it done on a couple of
  my lutes). Some makers prefer to make a new bridge which can
  be glued on to the soundboard without it being removed, but
  others would only consider fitting a new bridge with the top
  off.
best Matthew On 24 juin 2014, at 18:26, Christopher Wilke <chriswi...@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  wrote:
> Nothing difficult about it at all. I've drilled a few
  holes myself on lutes and a baroque guitar and I have zero
  wood working skills. I used a little tiny hobby drill that I
  bought from Michael's hobby supply. It's basically just a
  short aluminum handle like an Exacto knife with a little
  drill bit set into it. You just physically rotate it back
  and forth by hand. It's so small, you can get it close and
  parallel with the soundboard. If you're not an experienced
  bridge-hole-driller, the real advantage is that you have
  plenty of time to recognize and correct your aim as you go.

  > Chris
  >
  > Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.
  > Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer
  > www.christopherwilke.com

  > On Tue, 6/24/14, Matthew Daillie <dail...@club-internet.fr>
  wrote:

  > Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Re: Swan Neck Baroque Lute for
  sale
  <r.turov...@gmail.com>,
  "sterling price" <spiffys84...@yahoo.com>,
  "baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu"
  <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
  > Date: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 10:42 AM
  >
  > It is feasible to redrill the bridge
  > holes but it's a job even (especially?) the best lute
  makers
  > hate doing (the original holes are obviously done
  before the
  > bridge is glued on).
  >
  > Best
  > Matthew
  >

  > On 24 juin 2014, at 16:05, John Lenti <johnle...@hotmail.com>
  > wrote:
  >
  >> Whatever else happens, it's not a huge big deal to
  have
  > the bridge re-drilled, or to get a new nut. If bridge
  or nut
  > spacing is the one thing you don't like about an
  instrument,
  > fix it. I had John Rollins re-drill my baroque lute
  bridge
  > and have never been happier. Some of the original holes
  are
  > part of the new spacing, he plugged the others. I've
  seen
  > other lutes the bridges of which look like Swiss
  cheese,
  > which also seems not to have any deleterious effects.
  >>
  >> Sent from my Ouija board
  >>
  >>> On Jun 23, 2014, at 3:39 PM, "r.turov...@gmail.com"
  > <r.turov...@gmail.com>
  > wrote:
  >>>
  >>> My hands are small, but I found 154mm to be
  the