Any content that uses values outside of the range specified to be supported
by the standard is relying on undefined behavior so from a compliance
perspective the renderer is free to do whatever is convenient for it.  I
agree that someone should notify XChart that their generated SVG is not
spec compliant (at least with 1.1).

As for what it would be nice for an implementation to do, it would be nice
if it gave clear warnings/errors that the content is not compliant with the
specification and thus may render incorrectly.

Batik does it's own number parsing (it was substantially faster than the
built in float parsers at the time) so that might not even be that hard to
do.