FYI I just saw your attempted fix in the bug thread.

I personally think that is a terrible idea to add hacks/work arounds to
partially fix the invalid content.  It is helpful to tell people their
content is invalid and ideally where and why - doing partial work arounds
for invalid content IMO does no-one any favors - it's adding complexity and
still going to lead to failures in other areas that are likely going to be
harder to find/debug/explain.

  If you feel that single precision float is too limiting it would be much
better to try and migrate everything to double precision - but I suspect
that would be a long road.