On Fri, 7 Jun 2024 at 14:31, Thomas DeWeese <thomas.dewe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally think that is a terrible idea to add hacks/work arounds to
> partially fix the invalid content.  It is helpful to tell people their
> content is invalid and ideally where and why - doing partial work arounds for
> invalid content IMO does no-one any favors - it's adding complexity and still
> going to lead to failures in other areas that are likely going to be harder
> to find/debug/explain.
I don't like it either, but I'd stop short of "terrible" (I've had
some terrible ideas in the past, and this doesn't come close!) because
it's consistent with "from a compliance perspective the renderer is
free to do whatever is convenient for it" and doesn't fail any tests.
I think this is a judgement call, so it needs the judgement of someone
who knows what they're talking about (ie. you), so I'm grateful for
that. As far as I can see, browsers take a different approach, and try
to render something, which is consistent with the way they treat
invalid HTML, isn't it?
What do you think would be the best - throwing an error, printing a
log message or something else?

>   If you feel that single precision float is too limiting it would be much
> better to try and migrate everything to double precision - but I suspect that
> would be a long road.
I agree. Also it will still be possible to write an out-of-bounds literal.