ShengHuo ZHU writes:
 > Jochen Kuepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 >
 > > I am having trouble upgrading to the latest cvs version of bbdb. The
 > > last version that works for me is 20000704. With the latest (cvs of
 > > today) I get an error upon executing
 > >
 > > (require 'bbdb)
 > > (bbdb-initialize)
 > >
 > > in an -vanilla XEmacs-21.1 "20 Minutes to Nikko" (whatever patchlevel
 > > that is) I get:
 >
 > The latest autoload.el in XEmacs checks the time of .el files and
 > generated-autoload-file.
 >
 > ,--------
 > | (defun update-file-autoloads (file)
 > |   "Update the autoloads for FILE in `generated-autoload-file'
 > | \(which FILE might bind in its local variables).
 > | This function refuses to update autoloads files."

Well, yeah, that matches my observation regarding the "echo";-))

 > The attached patch fixes the bug, at least it works for both the
 > recent XEmacs and GNU Emacs.

Works for me, XEmacs-21.1.2;-))

I found that out the hard way last night;-)) and bbdb itself and vm
are running now.

I still have problems with Gnus, as starting up Gnus with the new bbdb
version does end up in a infinite loop. (Gnus v5.6.45)
Anybody else?

My .emacs contains

(require 'bbdb)
(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message 'rmail 'sc 'vm 'w3)
(bbdb-insinuate-w3)
(setq bbdb-create-hook nil)
(setq bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil)
(setq bbdb-file "~/.bbdb/database")
(setq bbdb/mail-auto-create-p t)
(setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p t)
(setq bbdb-notice-auto-save-file t)
(setq bbdb-notice-hook 'bbdb-auto-notes-hook)
(setq bbdb-print-elide '(aka creation-date mail-alias notes tex-name timestamp))
(setq bbdb-print-file-name "~/bbdb/bbdb.tex")
(setq bbdb-user-mail-names "Jochen K.*pper")
(put 'ml 'field-separator ", ")
(put 'newsgroups 'field-separator ", ")
;; alists
[-]

And .gnus is

(setq nnfolder-get-new-mail t)
(setq gnus-before-startup-hook nil)
(setq gnus-cache-remove-articles nil)
(setq gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups t)
(setq gnus-check-bogus-groups-hook nil)
(setq gnus-default-subscribed-newsgroups t)
(setq gnus-load-hook nil)
(setq gnus-nntpserver-file "/etc/news/nntp.host")
(setq gnus-open-server-hook nil)
(setq gnus-read-active-file t)
(setq gnus-secondary-servers nil)
(setq gnus-select-method (quote (nntp "localhost")))
(setq gnus-show-mime t)
(setq gnus-started-hook nil)
(setq gnus-startup-hook nil)
(setq gnus-use-demon t)
(setq gnus-xmas-glyph-directory nil)
(setq gnus-verbose 5)
(bbdb-insinuate-gnus)

And I end up with

Signaling: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'")

[snip]

  load-internal("gnus" nil t nil binary)
  load("gnus" nil t nil)
  require(gnus)
  byte-code( [snip] )
  load-internal("gnus-mime" nil t nil binary)
  load("gnus-mime" nil t nil)
  require(gnus-mime)
  tm-setup/load-gnus()
  run-hooks(tm-setup/load-gnus)
  load-internal("gnus" nil nil nil binary)
  load("gnus" nil nil nil)
  command-execute(gnus t)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command)

What makes me stumble is the repeated load("gnus" nil t nil) that
apeears almost 40 times in the backtrace?

Jochen
--
http://www.Jochen-Kuepper.de

   Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit