> * In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> * On the subject of "Re: startup problems"
> * Sent on Wed, 23 Aug 2000 05:27:05 +0100 (IST)
> * Honorable Waider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> doesn't affect GNUmacs one way or another, and if it fixes the problem
> to change it to break GNUmacs, since that's what I tend to use.

if you use it, you should probably be aware that the program is called
Emacs, not the way you call it.  Using "Emacs" to mean "GNU Emacs as
distributed by the FSF", and "emacs" to mean "an implementation of
emacs, such as Emacs of XEmacs" is clear enough, IMO.  RMS, who wrote
Emacs, wants his users to call his program "Emacs", and I see no reason
not to comply with such a simple request.

> > if you want to mess with the Makefile again, you might make it depend on
> > a variable EMACS, and use the right rule...
>
> This doesn't solve the problem for people who run both GNUmacs and XEmacs.

auto-autoloads is loaded by XEmacs (but not Emacs) automatically.  using
this name is BAD because those who use both emacsen will be in trouble.

I think those who have the problems now did not delete the old obsolete
auto-autoloads.

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Micros**t is not the answer.  Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,