> the current setup works fine with Emacs, so please don't break it.
> also, I don't think it is a good idea to rename the autoloads file
> (again).

Sure, but it doesn't work with XEmacs. Renaming the autoloads file doesn't
affect GNUmacs one way or another, and if it fixes the problem for XEmacs
then I don't see why it shouldn't happen. I'm not proposing to change it
to break GNUmacs, since that's what I tend to use.

> if you want to mess with the Makefile again, you might make it depend on
> a variable EMACS, and use the right rule...

This doesn't solve the problem for people who run both GNUmacs and XEmacs.

Waider.
--
If I had a .sig on this machine it'd be riiiight here.