Jack> I've got a brutally ugly and hard-to-maintain nnmail-split-fancy
Jack> variable in my .gnus file and I vaguely remember someone having
Jack> documented some way to add something to a bbdb record, and then
Jack> have gnus magically file emails sent to that person into the
Jack> right folder.
Jack>
Jack> Does this exist?  Am I dreaming?  Is it still around?
Jack>
Jack> Jack.  (help?)

Adam> Search for "from Brian Edmonds" in bbdb-gnus.el

Adam> To summarize,

Adam> (setq nnmail-split-methods 'bbdb/gnus-split-method)

Adam> and add a "gnus-private" field (or "gnus-public" for mailing
Adam> lists) to your BBDB records.

Adam> I also added: (setq bbdb/gnus-split-nomatch-function
Adam> 'nnmail-split-fancy) to catch the rest.

Okay, this confuses me.

Here's a way way way stripped down version of my nnmail-split-fancy,
listing just one mailing list and just one "person".

 '(| (: nnmail-split-fancy-with-parent)
     ("mail.gnus-warning" "duplication of messages" "duplicate")
     (any "jmt\\+usenet@.*"
          (| ("subject" "re:.*" "mail.misc")
             ("references" ".*@.*" "mail.misc")
             "mail.spam"))
     ;; mailing lists
     (to "bb@taex001\\.tamu\\.edu" "list.bb")
     ;; other mail
     (from "Cron Daemon" "mail.cron")
     ;; people
     (from "pesh@net-gate\\.com" "people.Alana_Phelan")
     ;; companies
     (any "taos\\.com" "company.taos")
     ;; diplomacy stuff
     (from "usef@devel\\.igo\\.org"
           (| ("subject" "Diplomacy \\(results\\|notice:\\|waiting\\|deadline
missed:\\|pending orders\\) \\(\\w+\\)"
               "diplomacy.usef.\\2")
              "diplomacy.usef"))
     (from "usef@devel\\.diplom\\.org"
     (from "judge@chorn\\.com"
           (| ("subject" "Diplomacy \\(results\\|notice:\\|waiting\\|deadline
missed:\\|pending orders\\) \\(\\w+\\)"
               "diplomacy.usch.\\2")
              "diplomacy.usch"))
     ;; and everything else...
     (to "jmt" "mail.misc")
     "mail.spam")

It appears that bbdb/gnus-split-method would only apply to "mailing
lists" (maybe, I think), "other mail", "people", and possibly
"companies".  However, I don't see it properly handling the diplomacy
stuff or the spam-filtering stuff.

How do I keep all the functionality and get a smaller list?

Adam> Adam

Jack.
(currently working on cleaning up the diplomacy stuff.)
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at tbe dot net