Adam> I only use gnus-private, so that I can have per-user sorting,
Adam> without an regexp entry for each person in BBDB.

So each related BBDB entry has a gnus-private tag, right?  That'll
handle "other mail" and "people" in my example before.

Adam> gnus-public will handle mailing lists, but it's intended to
Adam> override gnus-private and uses regexps.  You set up rules with
Adam> it instead of what you currently have in nnmail-split-fancy, but
Adam> I don't think it will be any simpler than your "diplomacy"
Adam> regexp.

Where does gnus-public get set?  This confuses me a little.

Adam> I can't think of a way to simplify your diplomacy regexp.
Adam> Anyone else?

I've attached my current attempt -- a function and two variables,
basically, plus a "fake" message-fetch-field to make testing easier.
It appears to work, so I'm going to give it a try, but I thought I'd
let the list give it a peek first.

Adam> You can have both nnmail-split-fancy and bbdb/gnus-split-method.
Adam> (That's the gnus-split-nomatch-function.)  I use the former for
Adam> mailing lists and the latter for individuals.

Yes, but you can't embed bbdb/gnus-split-method in
nnmail-split-fancy.  I want to keep the antispam features of
nnmail-split-fancy, but gnus-split-nomatch-function would run
nnmail-split-fancy *after* bbdb/gnus-split-method, which would be
nonoptimal, I'd think.

Adam> Does this make sense?  Alternately, what would you like
Adam> gnus-split-method to do?

I'd like to embed bbdb/gnus-split-method in nnmail-split-fancy, such
that some processing takes place before BBDB is used to file mail, and
some processing takes place afterwards.

Adam> Adam

Jack.
(whee.)
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at tbe dot net

scratch.el - judge-split and support stuff