    Ronan> [...] I seem to recall seeing something in there to strip
    Ronan> all the goop off of a piece of text before dropping it into
    Ronan> BBDB. Maybe it's not being used, or something.

I recall this too, but I can't find it right now...

However, I'm pretty sure that the face info gets stuck into your BBDB
file if you manually copy and paste stuff that is fontified or
face-ified (or whatever :-) from (say) the mail buffer.  The random
sprinkling of these things in an old copy of my BBDB file suggests
this...

Hmmm, I've just tried really hard to make this happen and I can't...
The only stuff that I can find (in my old file) looks to have been
generated in association with rmail or lazy-lock:

#("[EMAIL PROTECTED]" 0 16 (rmail-fontified t))
#("[EMAIL PROTECTED]" 0 15 (lazy-lock t) 15 16 (lazy-lock t))

[Names and numbers changed to protect the innocent, and incriminate
 Waider :-]

None of it comes from VM (I don't use rmail anymore, but I still use
lazy-lock) but, hang on...  Brought to you by a CDROM that just
happens to contain a version of my BBDB.  I messed with this in
mid-April:

#("Großjohann" 0 10 (vm-string t vm-charset "iso-8859-1" vm-coding iso-latin-1))

Bingo!  I'm looking at the "fixed" BBDB (none of the above crud).
When I hit ":" when I'm looking at a message from Kai, it asks if I
want to change his name from "Kai Großjohann" to "Kai Großjohann".
Strange!  If I say yes, then the above gets put in for his family
name...

If it's relevant, I'm running with:

  (standard-display-european 1) ; 8-bit european characters.

That's about all of the interaction I do with the MULE stuff...

This hasn't got anything (directly) to do with faces, but I hope it
helps...

peace & happiness,
martin