    Martin> None of it comes from VM (I don't use rmail anymore, but I still
    Martin> use lazy-lock) but, hang on...  Brought to you by a CDROM that
    Martin> just happens to contain a version of my BBDB.  I messed with this
    Martin> in mid-April:

    Martin> #("Großjohann" 0 10 (vm-string t vm-charset "iso-8859-1" vm-coding
iso-latin-1))

    Martin> Bingo!  I'm looking at the "fixed" BBDB (none of the above crud).
    Martin> When I hit ":" when I'm looking at a message from Kai, it asks if I
    Martin> want to change his name from "Kai Großjohann" to "Kai Großjohann".
    Martin> Strange!  If I say yes, then the above gets put in for his family
    Martin> name...

    Martin> If it's relevant, I'm running with:

    Martin>   (standard-display-european 1) ; 8-bit european characters.

Yes, that is pretty much what happens with me.  When I run Gnus in text-mode
but Emacs believes that my xterm is incapable of displaying iso-8859-1, I get
that same request when I read a message from Kai (which happens frequently!).

Since I have bbdb/gnus-summary-show-all-recipients turned on, I used to get
things like this all the time.

Now that I have a DSL connection from home, I just fire up Emacs with Gnus in
full X mode, and I'm fine.

Ted
--
 Ted Stern                                          Engineering Applications
 Cray Inc.                                               http://www.cray.com