J> I'm new to SyncBBDB and PilotManager, and I have a few questions.
J> I've forgotten how to hide certain fields from display.  I'd love
J> to make "pilot-id" go away.  Can someone tell me what I need to
J> tweak?

J> Also, I have a record that has Home and Office information for
J> phone and address, and SyncBBDB created two Palm-side entries for
J> this.  I'd like to make this not happen, and I've done everything
J> up to and including removing all records of the individual and
J> rebuilding their BBDB record by hand.  Every time I get to having a
J> phone and an address for Home and for Office, I get two different
J> Palm-side records.  How do I make SyncBBDB only create one
J> Palm-side entry for this?

Thomas> It is unclear if you want both addresses in one Palm record or
Thomas> you only want one of the two addresses sent to the Palm.

I want both addresses in one Palm record.

Thomas> if you edit the pilot-id by hand you can tell SyncBBDB not
Thomas> to sync the second address,

This is an unacceptable solution, as I need all the contact
information in the BBDB record in the Palm, or else I wouldn't put it
in the BBDB.  What good is it to not have my friend's work contact
information if I need to call him at work?  What good would it be to
not have my boss's home contact information if I have to call him at
home?

[...]

Thomas> If you want both stored in one palm record, uhh find another
Thomas> sync tool, I consider this approach a hack job.  I'd be
Thomas> delighted if plam updated the address book app to support
Thomas> multipled addresses (or in BBDB terminology 'locations) per
Thomas> 'person' but since it doesn't I consider this the proper way
Thomas> to deal with the issue.

That's a remarkably inflexible position for an application author to
take.  I consider the approach of making multiple records for a single
individual to be worse than a hack job as it totally skews the meaning
of the records and makes incorrect assumptions.  A one-to-one
correlation between BBDB records and Palm address book entries makes a
lot more sense to me, as it is not uncommon for me to have more than
one set of phone and address for coworkers (and family and close
friends).  But just because I have Home contact information for people
does not mean they are in the Personal category, it just means I have
Home contact information for them.  I don't need to tell you how ugly
it would be to have multiple records in the same category for the same
person, do I?

With all due respect, it would probably help more than one user of
your software for you to consider adding functionality to support a
one-to-one record-to-entry relationship, with the additional address
information stored in the Notes field, and completely populating the
available contact information fields.  If this is something that truly
goes against your address book philosophy, then I'll probably have to
hack up your wonderful code to add this functionality and then post it
here and elsewhere for other people who might want to use it.

Jack.
(you should also respect X-Attribution settings)
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org