Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On December 23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> Note that Unicode cannot (yet?) represent all the characters that
>> Emacs can represent.
>
> Really? How is this the case? Or more to the point, what's the set of
> characters in Emacs that can't be represented in Unicode?

In Emacs, Latin-1 ä and Latin-2 ä are two distinct characters.  I
think in Unicode there is only one ä.

There was much talk about `Han unification'.  I have no idea what
that is, but I /think/ it means that some Chinese characters are
identified with some Japanese characters.  So from the the Unicode
you don't know which character it is.  (But applications might wish
to use different glyphs depending on whether they're showing Chinese
or Japanese text.)  Note that this is just hearsay -- it might be
completely wrong.  In Emacs, the Chinese and the Japanese character
are considered to be distinct.

I think the new Unicode-based internal encoding in Emacs will offer
some way around `Han unification', perhaps by using private extension
areas in Unicode.

In my previous message I should probably have said BMP instead of
Unicode, as Unicode has extensibility built-in...