Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On December 23, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
>> Note that Unicode cannot (yet?) represent all the characters that
>> Emacs can represent.
>
> Really? How is this the case? Or more to the point, what's the set of
> characters in Emacs that can't be represented in Unicode?

An example was given in the very same message you are citing: Emacs
distinguishes between Latin-1 ä and Latin-2 ä, for Unicode the two
characters are the same.

Also, the talk about han unification is a hint: Emacs distinguishes
between the Chinese and the Japanese version of some characters where
Unicode has han-unified them.

Clearly, Unicode is a better model of the real world regarding the ä
characters: the iso-8859 character sets have explicitly been designed
to share characters, so it's right to consider the ä's the same.

So regarding the ä characters, it seems it would be a good idea to
use Unicode.  Alas, that might have the unforeseen consequence that
searching isn't possible anymore: hitting C-s followed by a Latin-1 ä
will only find Latin-1 äs, whereas hitting C-s followed by a Latin-2
ä will only find Latin-2 äs.  So either people with a Latin-1 kbd or
people with a Latin-2 kbd won't be able to search the names!

All of this can be worked around by enabling the 8859 unification
that will come with Emacs 21.4, of course.  (ucs-tables.el has been
separately released by Dave Love, so the feature can be had on Emacs
21.2, as well.)  I understand that XEmacs has the Latin-Unity package
for iso-8859 unification.

And then, there is han unification...
--
Ambibibentists unite!