  Kai> Ronan Waide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
  >> I'm still not 100% clear on the "right" way to solve the
  >> coding-sytems problem. Ideally, I'd like the BBDB file to be
  >> coding-systems agnostic and still provide reasonable mapping back
  >> into the real world.

  Kai> Hm?  What does it mean for a file to be coding system agnostic?
  Kai> Clearly, you have to select *some* encoding for the characters
  Kai> on disk.

I guess (and you do, of course) the idea is to free data from the
limitations of a coding-systems, to make it more versatile, so that I
be able to address a person in an appropriate charset (sometimes I
have occasions to write to one same person in koi8-r, sometimes in
windows-1251, depending on the rules of a forum in question; it is
posting-styles which should govern it, the character repertoire being
exactly the same).

  Kai> Note that the buffer contents themselves are stored in the
  Kai> internal encoding anyway.  So the buffers always use the same
  Kai> encoding.  (If you have a Latin-1 file and an iso-2022-7bit
  Kai> file that contain the same characters, then reading both files
  Kai> into a buffer will result in the same buffer contents.  Many
  Kai> problems in Emacs result from the fact that a Latin-1 ä and a
  Kai> Latin-2 ä are not considered the same character in Emacs.  But
  Kai> this factoid is only relevant to European users, Asian users
  Kai> probably don't care at all.)

If a Czech or Pole wants to supervise your postings, they probably
would prefer to represent your name in iso-8859-2; you certainly are
aware of the problem.

[...]

  Kai> The easiest solution clearly is to just use the internal
  Kai> encoding for storing the file on disk.  The problem with this
  Kai> solution is also clear: many users do not normally use that
  Kai> encoding for their files, so the .bbdb file will have a
  Kai> different encoding than other files.  This might cause
  Kai> surprises when .bbdb is accessed by other programs such as
  Kai> grep.

That's why UTF-8 seems to be preferable over Mule, given that
unicode-aware grep seems to be more readily available than a
Mule-aware grep -- and this leads to your next option:

  Kai> Another possibility is to save .bbdb like any other file.

[...]

--
Sergei