Sergei Pokrovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I guess (and you do, of course) the idea is to free data from the
> limitations of a coding-systems, to make it more versatile, so that I
> be able to address a person in an appropriate charset (sometimes I
> have occasions to write to one same person in koi8-r, sometimes in
> windows-1251, depending on the rules of a forum in question; it is
> posting-styles which should govern it, the character repertoire being
> exactly the same).

Yes, I can agree with this goal.  iso-8859 unification is clearly a
Good Thing, and I'll take your word for it that unifying the various
Cyrillic encodings is also the right thing to do.

OTOH, we have Han unification which might not be so good.

I still think that Dave's changes are good: they do not limit the
encodings used for the .bbdb file.  They just allow more easily to
use a different encoding for .bbdb than for other files.  The changes
are good regardless of the encoding used to store the file, IMHO.