    VGI> Strange, I'm using BBDB 2.34 (with XEmacs 21.4.13).
    VGI> bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist is defined in bbdb-hooks.el,
    VGI> v1.5 dated 2002/02/12 22:56:38. Is this not what you have?

    VGI> Have you tried using apropos? If not, type "M-h a bbdb
    VGI> RET". You should see a long list of symbols that have "bbdb"
    VGI> in them. Searching for "ignore" should eventually get you to
    VGI> bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist.  Typing RET with your cursor
    VGI> on the bbdb-ignore-some-messages line should bring up the
    VGI> same info as "C-h v bbdb-ignore-some-messages RET" does.

Thanks, Vladimir!  The problem is that bbdb-hooks is not loaded by
default, at least in my copy of BBDB.  Perhaps there's something in
your .emacs that triggers the autoload.

I just checked and if I evaluate FEATURES, there's no BBDB-HOOKS
there, but BBDB-HOOKS uses PROVIDE, so there would be if it were
loaded.

Question --- should bbdb-hooks just be loaded?  Seems like it
radically changes the behavior of some things in good ways....  Or
perhaps selected items therein should be moved out and merged with the
codebase proper?

cheers,