I set manually setq bbdb/mail-auto-create-p to 'prompt (the symbol), but
it still didn't prompt. (I had used customize before.) I also tried
'bbdb-prompt-for-create and 'prompt-for-create but they too acted like
t.

The code in funtion bbdb-update-records in bbdb-com.el doesn't appear to
me to do what the documentation says, but that could be because I just
have a poor understanding of lisp.

If it's not operator error, let me know if you'd like me to submit a bug
report.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

    >> I'm having problems with bbdb/mail-auto-create-p. It doesn't seem to
    >> work. bbdb/mail-auto-create-p is supposed to recognize 4 values: t,
    >> prompt, nil, and bbdb-<function>, but I all I seem to be able to get
    >> BBDB to recognize is nil and non-nil (i.e. prompt == t; I haven't tried
    >> bbdb-<function>).

    rw> If you set bbdb/<foo>-auto-create-p to a function, you can do all
    rw> manner of processing on the message and return t to indicate the
    rw> address should be added or nil to indicate that it shouldn't. That'd
    rw> be the "Create with function option" in the above list. 'prompt should
    rw> work, in that there's code in bbdb-com to check for it, but I can't
    rw> say I've tested that in a while. I'll try and have a look at it this
    rw> evening if I get a chance. Note, that value is 'prompt, not a variable
    rw> called prompt or the string "prompt". You're probably aware of that,
    rw> but just making sure. Try manually setting it rather than using
    rw> customize, since there are a few bugs in the custom stuff which I
    rw> really should fix.