dont know if i understand your question properly, but anyway i use
the following (which you may modify for your own purposes)

(defun bbdb/gnus-add-gnus-private (record)
  "For use as a `bbdb-create-hook'; prompts for a gnus-group"
  (bbdb-record-putprop record 'gnus-private
                       (read-string "Insert value for gnus-private field: ")))
(add-hook 'bbdb-create-hook 'bbdb/gnus-add-gnus-private)

you can e.g. supply read-string with INITIAL-CONTENTS or DEFAULT-VALUE
by using the variable gnus-newsgroup-name

tomy

Ted Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I've been wading through the manual attempting to find the right hook, but
> can't figure this out:
>
> My bbdb is getting so full that sometimes when I receive an email from someone
> and their ID is recognized, I don't remember the context.
>
> I'd like to be prompted when entering ":" or ";" for a new field value
> associated with the bbdb record.  It could be the notes field, but I'd prefer
> a new field, say something like "group", "area" or "context" (suggestions?).
>
> I use bbdb/gnus, so I'd like the default string for that value to be the last
> two words in the Gnus group name.  The variable gnus-group-uncollapsed-levels
> could be used to decide how many parts of the group name to use.
>
> Here's an example -- say I'm reading a message from Ronan Waide in this
> group.  I've already got him in my database but I want to annotate what group
> I usually read his letters in.  So I press ";" to add a note.  I'm prompted
> for the note field, but I make no changes.  But then I'm prompted for changes
> to the new group field, with a default entry already there, "bbdb.user" (I
> read this as the Gmane newsgroup gmane.emacs.bbdb.user).
>
> Ah, that works, so I leave that unchanged and RET.
>
> Any ideas?
> --
>  Ted Stern                                 Applications Group
>  Cray Inc.                               office: 206-701-2182
>  411 First Avenue South, Suite 600         cell: 206-383-1049
>  Seattle, WA 98104-2860                     FAX: 206-701-2500
>
>  Frango ut patefaciam -- I break that I may reveal
>  (The Paleontological Society motto, equally apropos for debugging)

very nice signature