First, a bug report, sort of.  I use RMAIL but almost never the RMAIL
summary mode.  Insinuating into RMAIL causes trouble, as bbdb-insinuate-rmail
includes

  (define-key rmail-summary-mode-map ":" 'bbdb/rmail-show-sender)

among other stuff.  Of course, (require 'rmailsum) before loading bbdb
takes care of that, but it does not seem like a very clean solution.

After I stared for a bit at the whole insinuation mechanism (at least
for RMAIL), I realized that it is invoked as follows (correct me if I
am wrong):

There's the bbdb-init-forms list and in it there's

     (add-hook 'rmail-mode-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-rmail)

So the entire insinuation seems to boild down to the code that is in
bbdb-insinuate-rmail.  Moreover, this code is executed every time one
enters rmail-mode, which sounds odd.  Specifically, looking at that
function, we see that it consists of 4 lines of keymap modifications
(better done on load of the appropriate file, via an eval-on-load or
something), some wrapping of rmail functionality by global aliasing
function (not sure why this is done this way instead of via advice,
but never mind that) and some black magic related to autoloaded
stuff.  IMHO, none of this stuff should be executed in a mode hook,
but on load of the mode file.

My specific problem of course would go away if one did the
rmail-summary-mode-map definitions in (eval-after-load 'rmailsum ...).

Cheers,
        --Boris