On 8/16/2010 7:34 PM, Uday S Reddy wrote:

> I still got stuck doing the build (trace below).  But, at least, I am a bit
> further along than I was last time.
>
> Symbol's value as variable is void: \
>
> make[1]: *** [bbdb-hooks.elc] Error 127

Found a resolution to this problem.  In lisp/Makefile.in, the rule for
bbdb-hooks.elc has -eval '<long lisp expression>'.  The <long lisp expression>
is broken across several lines.  After turning it into one long string without
line breaks, this problem went away.

There were two other gotchas.

- Doing 'make all' doesn't build loadpath.el.  configure does.  So, if you do
'make clean' for any reason, you have to run configure all over again.

- On Cygwin, the lisp/Makefile had two occurrences of ^M, which blocked make
from going through.  I had to remove them manually.

These are probably old problems that happened during the build of bbdb-2.35
too.  But I don't have much memory of it.

Cheers,
Uday