On Fri Dec 17 2010 Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> You should decide:
>
> - do you want to take patches from Emacs or keep them separate?

I'll be happy to take patches from anybody, if they help to fix bugs
in the code or to improve the code in any other way. If it turns out
that a patch collides with anything else in BBDB (not all ideas that
I put into the new code or that I have in the back of my mind have
been spelled out yet) I might take the liberty to try to improve it.

> - do you want to make BBDB provided with Emacs 24 by default through
>   package.el?  (I want to be clear about this, people will be able to
>   install it very easily.)

Again: this is certainly fine with me. The only issue might be: I
hope that upon the release of Emacs 24 the new BBDB will have
reached at least a more stable beta phase. (A rewrite of the info
pages stands out as a larger task where I cannot make predictions
how long this might take. Apart from that, right now I have only
some smaller todo items I want to get done in the near future.)
The major issue will be to accumulate some feedback from users of
the new code.

> - can you work with me and the Emacs maintainers to assign the BBDB
>   source code to the FSF?  We'll need to track down a lot of
>   contributors and possibly rewrite code.

Again: fine with me! -- I don't know what "rewrite" means from the
legal perspective that matters here. If you simply compared the new
and old code line by line, I doubt that you might find more than a
few percent that have not been changed / rewritten more or less
substantially. On the other hand, I tried to preserve major concepts
of BBDB that appeared quite reasonable to me.

> If the last one is too much work or not OK with the BBDB
> developers,

...For the new code I have not yet found anybody who might want to
help with it. In that sense, I can speak here without further
consultation for all (current) BBDB developpers.

But: any hep is appreciated!