On Wed Jan 19 2011 Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> I'd be OK with providing BBDB3 in a beta form through
> elpa.gnu.org. As long as the version string states it clearly,
> which it will. You are likely to get plenty of feedback.

Feedback is always appreciated!

> A rewrite is the worst case, where you can't find the original
> contributor or they are not willing to assign the copyright to the FSF.

Some pieces of BBDB in their original form are rather old. So I
exepct that tracking down the original contributor can be more
difficult.

> (CC to Chong Yidong in case he wants to comment)

My main question is the legal meaning of "rewrite". (Almost all code
has been rewritten in one or the other way.)

> If BBDB3 is written by you then you have the copyright AFAIK.  We need
> to find the code that you did not write and track down the authors.  Can
> you do the first part?

I can try to make a list of things that I have changed "less".

By the way, I already passed on the copyright to FSF for my
"general" contributions to GNU Emacs. Is this enough here?
I'll be happy to do this once more.

> RW> ...For the new code I have not yet found anybody who might want to
> RW> help with it. In that sense, I can speak here without further
> RW> consultation for all (current) BBDB developpers.
>
> That's wonderful.

Yes and no  :-)

Anybodies help is greatly appreciated...

> Thank you for working on this functionality and I look foward to
> helping you test and document it.

...including yours.