> * Roland Winkler <jvax...@tah.bet> [2011-04-10 21:09:37 -0500]:
>
> - I added support for anniversaries.  My original idea was to do
>   something very sophisticated based on note handlers. But this
>   turned out to be too complicated to make it a robust scheme
>   (Sorry guys, if anybody was looking forward to this. Let me know
>   if you believe it would really be a great improvement for BBDB
>   that was worth the pain of implementing it...)
>
>   So now you just define note fields such as `birthday'. If the
>   value of this field is "24 Dec 2000", this will be marked in the
>   emacs diary.  See the new file bbdb-anniv.el for details.

Cool!  However, I have a small problem with this feature (and with the
printing as well).

I started using bbdb about 15 years ago and I accumulated a fairly large
.bbdb file.  Some records there are not relevant to me all that much (a
coworker from 10 years ago), so, on one hand, I do not want to remove
the record (or its parts, like address, phone, birthday &c), and, on the
other hand, I do not want that record to be printed out or that birthday
mentioned in my diary.  How about a "current" or "relevant" note which
will specify just that - that the record is to be printed and its
anniversaries mentioned in the diary?

Also, people's e-mail addresses become obsolete every now and then.
Removing those addresses is not really an option because they are needed
when you read those old messages helpfully archived on gmane.org; but
having them complete in the To: field does not make sense either.
How about a new notes field (I use old-net) which would do just that:
used for matching records against mail messages but not for mail address
completion?

Thanks!

> 2011-04-02  Roland Winkler  <wink...@gnu.org>
>       * lisp/bbdb.el (bbdb-utilities-anniv): New customization group.
>       (bbdb-create-hook, bbdb-change-hook)
>       (bbdb-after-change-hook, bbdb-notice-hook)
>       (bbdb-default-separator): Improve doc string.
>       (bbdb-separator-alist): Improve doc string.  Include entries for
>       anniversaries.
>       (bbdb-records):  Use make-variable-buffer-local.
>       (bbdb-current-field):  Do not remove field-name.
>       (bbdb-record-note): Simplified.
>       (bbdb-record-note-n): Removed.
>       (bbdb-record-note-split): New function.
>       (bbdb-record-set-note): Improved documentation.
>       (bbdb-format-note, bbdb-record-format-note): New function.
>       (bbdb-display-text):  Renamed from bbdb-format-text.
>       (bbdb-display-list):  Renamed from bbdb-format-list.
>       (bbdb-display-name-organization): Renamed from
>       bbdb-format-name-organization.
>       (bbdb-display-record-one-line): Renamed from
>       bbdb-format-record-one-line.  Unify text properties.
>       (bbdb-display-record-multi-line): Renamed from
>       bbdb-format-record-multi-line.  Unify text properties.
>       (bbdb-display-record-full-multi-line): Renamed from
>       bbdb-format-record-full-multi-line.
>       (bbdb-display-record-pop-up-multi-line): Renamed from
>       bbdb-format-record-pop-up-multi-line.
>       (bbdb-display-record): Renamed from bbdb-format-record.

as I said in another message, old variable names should be marked obsolete.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on CentOS release 5.5 (Final) X
http://pmw.org.il http://palestinefacts.org http://www.memritv.org